You might recall Chef Chloe from winning first place in an episode of The Food Network’s Cupcake Wars. I was so excited to see her win because I was so tired of people downing on vegan food without having given it a chance. So when she kicked ass on national television, I chalked one up for vegan yum. Since her win, her website and blog has been filled with a great collection of her recipes, videos, and press. Go Chef Chloe!
Since I had some left over tomato paste, I decided to try Chef Chloe’s Vegan Mac N’ Cheese. Her description of it sounded amazing and I had all the ingredients already so off I went to whip up this dish. Mine doesn’t look as pretty as hers but it tasted pretty good.
- Next time I’ll use less miso (I found it to be a strong flavor) and maybe a smidgen less tomato paste. I wish I had my agave nectar (I have no idea where it went, I hardly use it and I know it’s here somewhere) because I wonder if it would have reduced the miso taste.
- I’d also like to use the piccolini pasta just for aesthetics. I used elbow mac.
- In step 3, I’d add the milk first then add the other ingredients.
Chloe’s Vegan Mac N’ Cheese
(from her blog/website “Chef Chloe”)
1 lb. Piccolini pasta
1/4 cup soy-free earth balance
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon tahini
2 tablespoons miso paste
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 cups non-dairy milk (I use almond or rice)
1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli florets (If using fresh, steam for about 5 minutes until al dente)
*optional: 1 tablespoon agave
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package direction.
2. In medium sauce pot over medium flame, melt earth balance and whisk in flour until thick roux has formed.
3. Add tomato paste, tahini, miso, nutritional yeast, almond milk, and whisk together. Add broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Generously season with salt and pepper to taste. If sweeter flavor is desired, add agave.
5. Toss with hot pasta and enjoy the sound of suctioning noodles as you mix. If you prefer to make it “saucier,” add some extra non-dairy milk. Be prepared for seconds!